Note: This is offered as a plugin rather than being built directly into ZodiacPress for one reason:
It adds a database table that is 345 MB in size and holds over 3 million records (1 for each city/town/village). Some of you may not have web hosting resources to handle a database of that size. So, this is in the interest of keeping ZodiacPress available to the widest number of users.
Before using this plugin, decide if this plugin is a good fit for your site.
This plugin is for you if:
- Your web hosting plan can handle a database larger than 345 MB in size.
- Your site gets a high amount of traffic and you don’t want to deal with GeoNames limits, nor purchase credits for GeoNames Premium Webservices.
- For whatever reason, you don’t want to use GeoNames, but rather have the cities in your own database.
This plugin is NOT a good fit for your site if:
- You want to list the cities a language other than English. Currently, the ZP Atlas lists the cities in English. (In the future, more languages will be added. You can request a language on this page.)
- Your web hosting plan cannot handle too many database requests at once.
- You prefer to keep the size of your website on your server as small as possible.
Install The Plugin
After you download the plugin from its main page, install the plugin:
- In your WordPress dashboard, go to Plugins > Add New
- Click Upload Plugin.
- Click Browse to upload the ZIP file which you downnloaded from us.
- Click Install Now.
- Click Activate Plugin to activate the plugin.
Once you activate the plugin, the atlas will begin to set itself up. The only thing you have to do is wait a few minutes.
The Atlas Installs Itself
The atlas will immediately begin importing cities into your database in the background. This may take one minute or up to five minutes. Once it is complete, you’ll get a pop-up message in the admin back-end that says:
The atlas installation is complete. It is ready for use.
You do not have to stay on the admin page while the Atlas installing. You are free to leave the site. The Atlas will continue installing itself behind the scenes. It should not take more than 5 minutes to complete.
To check if the installation is complete, you can check the status by going to ZodiacPress > Tools > Atlas tab. If the Atlas installation is complete, the “Status” row will say Active like in this image:
Once the Atlas installation is complete, GeoNames will no longer be used. Instead, the ZodiacPress report form will get the list of cities from your own Atlas database. If you like, you can even delete your GeoNames username from ZodiacPress > Settings > Misc tab.
If you want to receive easy version updates for this plugin in your WordPress dashboard, enter your license key at ZodiacPress –> Settings –> Licenses tab. This is recommended so that you’ll receive any security and maintenance updates. You can find your license key on the receipt which was emailed to you after you downloaded the plugin. You can also see your license key if you log in to your account and click “View Licenses” in the “License Keys” section. The license for this plugin allows you to use the same license key on an unlimited number of sites.
- If you encounter problems with this plugin, first check to make sure that your site meets all the requirements for this plugin to work. The requirements are:
- WordPress version 4.7 or higher.
- ZodiacPress plugin version 1.7.1 or higher must be installed and activated.
- In addition, see this page to make sure you meet the requirements for the core ZodiacPress plugin.
- Next, check the Atlas status by going to ZodiacPress > Tools > Atlas tab.
- The “Status” row should say Active.
- The “Database table primary key” should say okay.
- The “Database table index” should say okay.
If the “Status” has an Error message, you can try to resolve it by deactivating and re-activating the ZP Atlas plugin. To do this:
- In your WordPress admin, go to the Plugins page.
- Under ZodiacPress Atlas, click Deactivate.
- After the plugin is deactivated, click “Activate” under its name. This will make the plugin try to set up the Atlas again.
After deactivating and re-activating the plugin, wait up to 3 minutes, then check the Atlas status again. If the Status still shows an error, then it is time to request help.
Please note that if the Status says “Installing…” or “Inserting cities data into database” these are not errors. In this case, please wait for the installation to complete.
- If the Atlas status is Active, but when you try to enter a city on the birth report form, no cities appear, it is time to request help. When you request help, please let us know which browser you used to test your form. For example, some browsers are Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Safari, etc.
When you delete this plugin, it will delete the entire Atlas database. Your site will not have anything left over from this plugin. After you delete the plugin, your birth report form will automatically go back to using GeoNames to get the cities, provided that you have your GeoNames username in the settings.
If you delete ZP Atlas, and you never set up your GeoNames in the ZodiacPress settings, then see the Quick Start Guide to set that up.
Please note that deactivating a plugin and deleting a plugin are two different things. Deactivating the plugin will not delete the Atlas database. Only deleting the plugin will delete the Atlas database.
You can request help on the support page or ask a question below.